Symptoms: Headache, hypotension, nausea, vomiting, sweating, tachycardia, vertigo, restlessness, warm flushed skin, blurred vision and syncope. A rise in intracranial pressure with confusion and neurological deficits can sometimes occur. Methaemoglobinemia.
Treatment: Consider oral activated charcoal if ingestion of a potentially toxic amount has occurred within 1 hr. Observe for at least 12 hrs after the overdose. Monitor blood pressure and pulse. Correct hypotension by raising the foot of the bed and/or by expanding the intravascular volume. Other measures as indicated by the patient's clinical condition. If severe hypotension persist despite the above measures, consider the use of inotropes.