Latanoprost and Timolol are combined in this medicine.
This medicine is used to treat increased pressure in the eye.
Instil Latanoprost + Timolol eye drop exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
To use the eye drop solution:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before using the eye drops.
- Tilt your head slightly backwards. With the index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Look upward and instil the required number of drops inside the lower eyelid.
- Close your eye and gently press the corner of your eye (near the nose bridge) for 2 minutes.
- Wipe any excess liquid from your face with a clean tissue.
- Replace and tighten the cap of the bottle.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper of this medicine to touch your eyes, eyelids or any other surface. Recap the eye drop immediately after use. If the eye drop becomes contaminated, it could cause an infection in your eyes.
If you have been given any other eye drops or medicines to be used together with this medicine, wait for at least 5 minutes before using the other medicine.
Do not share your eye drops with anyone else.
Some brands of Latanoprost + Timolol contain benzalkonium chloride as a preservative. This may discolour soft contact lenses and cause eye irritation. If you are wearing contact lenses, you should remove it before applying the eye drop. Wait for at least 15 minutes before reinserting your lenses.
If you missed a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to use your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- lung disease e.g. current or history of asthma, severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (long-term lung disease that causes airflow obstruction making it hard to breathe)
- heart disease e.g. heart rhythm disorder, heart block
as Latanoprost + Timolol may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- history of serious allergic reaction triggered by allergens
- other heart diseases e.g. heart failure
- orthostatic hypotension (a fall in blood pressure when standing up from a sitting or lying down position)
- blood flow disorder such as Raynaud's disease (poor blood circulation which makes the toes and fingers numb and pale when feeling cold or stressed)
- mild or moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- thyroid disease e.g. hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid gland)
- current or history of eye infection especially those caused by herpes simplex virus
- other eye diseases e.g. eye inflammation or irritation
- corneal disease
- myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness disorder)
If you are going to have an operation, including minor surgery and dental work, inform your doctor or dentist that you are using Latanoprost + Timolol.
For as long as you are using this medicine, you may need to have your eyes checked regularly. Your doctor will advise you about how often you need to have this test.
Latanoprost + Timolol may cause your vision to be temporarily blurred. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to see clearly.
Other side effects include any of the following: eye discomforts such as burning sensation, irritation, itching, redness, pain and swelling.
This medicine may cause a gradual change in the colour of your eyes, eyelashes and eyelid skin. You may also experience increased growth and thickening of your eyelashes.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- rapid or irregular heartbeat accompanied by breathlessness, weakness and swelling of legs, ankles or feet
- wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing and fatigue
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for high blood pressure or heart disease e.g. clonidine
- medicines for irregular or abnormal heartbeat e.g. amiodarone, quinidine, digoxin
- medicines to treat depression e.g. fluoxetine, paroxetine
- medicines for diabetes
- epinephrine (medicine used for emergency treatment of severe allergic reactions)
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Latanoprost + Timolol.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in the refrigerator, between 2-8°C.
Once opened, store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Throw away any remaining eye drops 4 weeks after opening. Mark the date of opening on the eye drop bottle so that you know when to discard it.
The bottle should be placed in the outer carton after use to protect the contents from light.