Paricalcitol is used to prevent or treat secondary hyperparathyroidism (excessive secretion of parathyroid hormone by the parathyroid glands in response to low blood calcium levels) in people with chronic kidney disease (gradual loss of kidney function over a period of months or years).
Take Paricalcitol exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food.
The dose of Paricalcitol will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment regimen depending on your condition, response and tolerability to this medicine.
Paricalcitol must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- vitamin D toxicity
- hypercalcaemia (high calcium levels in the blood)
as Paricalcitol may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have adynamic bone disease (low bone turn-over).
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you are going for blood tests (e.g. kidney function tests), inform your doctor that you are taking Paricalcitol as it may affect the results.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly. You may need to have routine blood tests (e.g. intact parathyroid hormone ,calcium and phosphorus levels) while you are being treated with this medicine.
Paricalcitol may cause any of the following side effects: headache, nausea, diarrheoa, and stuffy or runny nose.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction e.g.swelling of the face, mouth, lips, tongue, or throat with difficulty in breathing
- signs and symptoms of high levels of calcium in the blood e.g. muscle weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, bone pain, irregular heartbeat
- signs and symptoms of high levels of phosphate in the blood e.g. muscle cramps, numbness and tingling around the mouth, rash, itchy skin, bone and joint pain
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines used to treat fungal infection e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole
- medicines for HIV infection e.g. atazanavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir
- certain antibiotics e.g. clarithromycin, telithromycin
- medicines for heart disease e.g. digoxin
- medicines for water retention e.g. hydrochlorothiazide
- cholesterol-lowering medicines e.g. cholestyramine
- medicines used to reduce high levels of phosphorous in the blood e.g. sevelamer
- medicine to neutralise stomach acid e.g. aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide
- other supplements or multivitamins that contain calcium, phosphate, or Vitamin D
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Paricalcitol.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
It is important to adhere to the diet prescribed by your doctor.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.