Palonosetron is used to prevent nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy.
Take Palonosetron exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take Palonosetron with or without food, at least 1 hour before the start of your cancer chemotherapy.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- history of constipation
- bowel problems
- heart problems e.g. abnormal heart rhythm
- electrolyte imbalance (imbalance of essential minerals in the body)
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Palonosetron may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or tiredness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects may include any of the following: headache, eye swelling, constipation, muscle pain, and difficulty sleeping.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- signs of allergic reactions e.g. rashes, breathlessness, swelling of the face, eyes, or mouth
- chest pain, shortness of breath, irregular or abnormal heartbeat
- confusion, flushing, sweating, fever, muscle twitching and jerking, stiff muscles, fits or seizures
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- other medicines to prevent nausea and vomiting in cancer chemotherapy e.g. ondansetron, granisetron, dolasetron
- medicines used to treat depression e.g. fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, venlafaxine, mirtazapine
- strong painkillers e.g. fentanyl, tramadol
- lithium (medicine for mood disorders)
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Palonosetron.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from light.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.