Benzyl benzoate is used to treat scabies (itchy skin condition caused by tiny mites).
This medicine may also be used to treat head and body lice.
Apply Benzyl benzoate exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine is available as an emulsion.
If you are using it for the treatment of scabies, follow these steps:
- Take a bath before applying this medicine.
- After drying your body, apply a thin layer of Benzyl benzoate emulsion starting from your neck down the other surface area of your body. Do not cover, wrap or bandage the area.
- After 12 hours, take a bath and wash off the applied emulsion thoroughly.
- Change into a clean set of clothes. All clothes and beddings which you had contact with should be washed thoroughly.
If you are using it for the treatment of head lice, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands before application.
- Apply directly to affected area and allow it to remain for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, wash it thoroughly.
Avoid application or any contact of this medicine to the face, eyes, and mouth. Rinse immediately with water if it gets into your eyes or mouth. Alert your doctor if you start to have any problems with your eyes.
Do not use Benzyl benzoate if you ever had an allergic reaction (e.g. rashes, breathlessness, swollen eyes) to this medicine.
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do not apply this medicine on broken or infected skin.
Benzyl benzoate may cause irritation of eyes, skin, nostrils, mouth, lips, ears and genital area.
If you develop rashes, breathlessness, swollen mouth or eyes, stop using Benzyl benzoate and inform your doctor immediately. These could be signs of an allergic reaction.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking or using any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.